Breaking Barriers with Language: Empowering Pregnant Individuals through Inclusive Care Practices
This thought-provoking talk aims to explore the impact of gendered language in the care of the perinatal population. Through an interdisciplinary lens, this session will delve into the power dynamics, biases, and assumptions embedded in language use, and how they can influence the experiences of individuals across the gender spectrum during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. Attendees will gain insights into the importance of inclusive language, the potential harms of gendered language, and practical strategies for promoting more respectful and inclusive communication within perinatal care settings.
- Understand the concept of gendered language and its implications for the perinatal population, including individuals who identify as cisgender, transgender, non-binary, or gender diverse.
- Recognize the power dynamics and biases inherent in gendered language, and their potential impact on the experiences, autonomy, and mental health of perinatal individuals.
- Explore the relationship between language, identity, and mental well-being, and gain insights into the ways in which gendered language can contribute to marginalization, stigma, and discrimination within perinatal care.
- Examine the potential benefits of adopting inclusive language practices in perinatal care, including fostering trust, enhancing patient-provider communication, and promoting respectful and affirming environments.
- Learn practical strategies for incorporating inclusive language into everyday practice, including appropriate terminology, pronoun usage, and respectful ways of addressing and referring to perinatal individuals.
Interdisciplinary Perinatal Health Summit: Collaborative Care for Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
Originally presented on November 4, 2023 and structured into multiple, interdisciplinary panels as well as smaller presentations, this learning series was created to present a better approach to care, for patients and providers alike. Subscribe to just this talk or the full day learning event where we follow the perinatal patient's journey from conception through to postpartum. Topics are diverse and speakers range from a variety of backgrounds and expertise.